3/15/2006

Impulse Purchases I Have Made

File under: Oh, Give Me A Home. Posted by Moebius Stripper at 7:52 pm.
  • South-facing condo in the eastern part of the city.

1. Ah, home, sweet home. Congratulations and good luck! It’s great to have one’s own place, but also a challenge.

- Zeno — 3/15/2006 @ 9:11 pm

2. However impulsive the purchase may have been, to an extent a residence is an investment rather than a mere purchase for consumption. Hence there should be less cause for buyer’s remorse than for most other purchases.

- Peter — 3/15/2006 @ 9:32 pm

3. Zeno - thanks (on both counts)!

Peter - I’m not going to regret this. First of all, we haven’t actually closed on the deal yet, and the contract is full of “subjects”, including the “oh, and you can change your mind for no reason anytime in the next two weeks” one. Second, this place is perfect - I was looking for half a dozen things in a condo, and this one has every one of them and more.

- Moebius Stripper — 3/15/2006 @ 9:56 pm

4. Congrats! What’s its name?

- Theo — 3/15/2006 @ 11:45 pm

5. Cool! Congrats and good luck.

- Traveler, not tourist — 3/16/2006 @ 3:44 am

6. Congratulations. I found this part — before the closing — the absolute worst part, but it wil be over soon. And you might find it less unpleasant.

Will you share any more than “perfect”?

In any case, I am sure you will be very happy.

- wolfa — 3/16/2006 @ 5:09 am

7. Rock on! When it comes to impulsive purchases, this is probably the only one that will appreciate in value!

Congratulations.

- Dreama — 3/16/2006 @ 5:10 am

8. Thank you, all!

Theo - right now its working name is Party Central, though I suspect that this will change when the condo board lodges a formal complaint when I actually move in.

Dreama (hey!) - yup, and in this market, especially. (Or at least, this is what I tell myself whenever I’m reminded that if I’d bought two or three years ago, I could have saved myself…a few years of mortgage payments. Yeesh…)

Wolfa - I might post pictures when I move in, but I’m afraid that if I say much more, anyone searching MLS will be able to uniquely identify the property. (And, alas, it’s not two weeks - more like one. (This was something that my kickass agent had to negotiate yesterday, in exchange for getting me this perfect place below the asking price. Whatever - I have never felt so good about any decision I’ve ever made, so I don’t mind.) In any case, I hope the mortgage approval goes through really quickly, though I suspect there won’t be a problem - my appointment is with my bank, where I have several investments and where my paychecks get depisited.)

- Moebius Stripper — 3/16/2006 @ 5:12 am

9. See, rush is *good*, less time to have miserable stress about it. Or maybe not, since you are so certain of this decision. My stress was heavily mortgage related, though in the end I got one through the, uh, good word of my father. (He didn’t cosign it, but I have it through a bank in another city where he has a large mortgage.)

Is it in a large or small building? (This won’t, I assume, uniquely identify it. Do you really think you have people that obsessed that they would search for your condo on mls?)

My feeling about appreciate in value: probably not so much, overall, and it’s not like you’re not going to be buying another place after you move anyhow — which will have also appreciated in value the same way. And it’s unlikely you’re going to scale *down*, unless you have a particularly wonderful and enormous place now (or you move to, say, Fredericton). But it won’t *lose* value.

- wolfa — 3/16/2006 @ 6:10 am

10. Late in saying “congratulations!” But congratulations! It’s weird how a purchase like this can go from so much stress and debate to “Oh, THIS is it,” like that.

I second “Party Central.” Ha!

- ilyka — 3/17/2006 @ 10:28 am

11. It’s not that the process was stressful before I found this place - it was more like I’d been talking about talking about thinking about kind of sort of looking for a place, and then landed this really great agent entirely by accident, and suddenly I’m a homeowner.

As for the quickness of this decision, I am a hard Myers-Briggs J; I suspect that even if I hadn’t found the perfect place, it wouldn’t have been long before I just threw up my hands and said, screw it, I’m just going to buy the next place I see because I can’t take the process any longer. Thank goodness it didn’t come to that. (Also, thank goodness I am not a big spender in general.)

- Moebius Stripper — 3/17/2006 @ 3:51 pm

12. Awesome! Congrats!

- bitchphd — 3/18/2006 @ 1:32 pm

13. Congrats! But … will you be having any cats live with you?

- lobster — 3/18/2006 @ 11:05 pm