9/27/2004

‘I will wait and see if we get any instructions from Washington on that one’

File under: Character Writ Large, Sound And Fury, Home And Native Land, I Read The News Today, Oh Boy. Posted by Moebius Stripper at 4:50 pm.

Dear Mr. Cellucci,

OUR brave men and women in uniform gave their lives so that we wouldn’t have to bend to the will of yours. Has it occurred to you that we take “our values and our freedoms” pretty seriously, too?

1. Well, I really can’t blame Proconsul Cellucci (note the double L, by the way [actually, I had a double L, it was a double C I was missing, and that’s been corrected - Ed]) in this case. Basically, his answer was as close to a shrug of indifference as he could be expected to give for the situation.

- saforrest — 9/27/2004 @ 9:11 pm

2. So a shrug of indifference is good diplomacy? What is this guy - a Canadian?

I don’t buy it. I’ll grant that this isn’t the biggest lack of respect the US has shown for Canada’s right to self-determination, but I don’t feel obliged to cut Cellucci any slack just because he didn’t take the opportunity to condemn British Columbians to the fires of hell. Would it kill a single top-level American politician to stand up and say, “For crying out loud, leave Canada alone; we have more important things to worry about”? Cellucci in particular is trying to get Canada on board the missile defense program - it’s quite telling that he doesn’t see that as sufficient reason to get on our good side. (”They’re Canadians; they’ll give in to us out of politeness…”)

- Moebius Stripper — 9/28/2004 @ 12:21 pm

3. “Cellucci in particular is trying to get Canada on board the missile defense program…”

yes, I was just going to say, “speaking of bending over…”

- Jen — 9/28/2004 @ 5:04 pm

4. Yes, I suppose he ought to have been trying harder.

I guess I’m so used to his dictating to us that I’ve allowed it to define my expectations of him.

Probably you were just being facetious, but I don’t think he thinks that Canada will accede out of politeness: he expects us to sign onto the missle defence plan simply because we have to. It’s clear that he sees the possibility of a negative U.S. attitude towards Canada to be a trump card which beats anything the Canadian government could play.

- saforrest — 9/28/2004 @ 6:39 pm

5. Celucci is an ass. The fact that he was sent to Canada as the official representative of the United States is a barely veiled insult.

I’m not sure who is insulted by this more.

- Sam — 9/29/2004 @ 8:17 am

6. Jen - so it’s going to go ahead, with no debate, no nothing. Geez, when Paul Martin talked about the democratic deficit and how MPs should have more power, was he just making stuff up, or what?

saforrest - I was being semi-facetious. I know that Canada will accede out of intimidation, rather than politeness, but I think that both the Canadian politicians who agreed to join the program, and the Americans pushing us to do so, will publicly talk about what a great relationship our countries have.

- Moebius Stripper — 10/1/2004 @ 4:54 pm