9/21/2004

Rationalization

File under: Know Thyself, I Like To Ride My Bicycle. Posted by Moebius Stripper at 11:14 am.

My last bicycle cost me $150. It did the job - it got me from A to B, for most pertinent values of A and B in Vancouver - and didn’t do much else. It was rusty, and some of the gears didn’t shift too smoothly, and pedalling uphill was more of an ordeal than it would have been on a more expensive bike. However, spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars, can you imagine? - on something like a bicycle is irresponsible, plain and simple. It’s just not necessary. There are better uses for that sort of money.

That said: since I live in a town with formidable hills, no supermarket within a 1.5-hour walk, and an anemic public transit system, I feel no guilt whatsoever over having spent that sort of money on my new car.

1. Wow! An eco-moped! Does it come with snow tires? (not that it EVER snows on Vancouver Island).
    Allow me to recommend the MEC rain suit. It keeps me totally dry (aside sweat) on my commute - a lowly non electrical bicycle.

- littoral zone — 9/21/2004 @ 1:35 pm

2. wow, that’s one of the coolest things i’ve seen in some time. i didn’t know bikes like that existed. i’d be all over a “car” like that if i could get away with having one where i live in new york state. unfortunately, in the u.s. people like to run over bicyclists, especially people in large SUVs. (i’m only half-joking about this.) in my opinion the u.s. is largely not pedestrian and bicyclist friendly.

- wes — 9/21/2004 @ 2:04 pm

3. That lack of respect for bike/pedestrian culture is mostly dominant the case in Canada too, though maybe less so.

- saforrest — 9/22/2004 @ 10:38 am

4. Littoral zone - thanks for the rec; I’m actually in the market for a new rainsuit. (Somehow I managed to live in Vancouver for three years without a raincoat - though I did go through around half a dozen umbrellas during that time.)

And yeah, most of Canada’s not terribly bike friendly, either. I wouldn’t want to bike in Toronto, for instance. Ottawa has a fair number of bike paths. Vancouver is very friendly for commuting by bike, but it’s got a few huge hills. My current town is politically very bike-friendly, but unless you’re an expert biker, you won’t be able to get over the hills.
    Much of the rest of Canada is small town country, where you need to travel long distances to get anywhere (but probably won’t be run over by a car if you do try to do so by bike).

- Moebius Stripper — 9/22/2004 @ 11:34 am

5. I couldn’t find all the rain gear I use in the online MEC catalogue - but I suggest the Whoosh jacket or similar; full zip pants; the cordura nylon overbooties; neoprene paddling gloves and the very stylin’ helmet cover that has the back flap.
    If you use a helmet light you have to cut some slits in the helmet cover to mount it.
    I use an Ortlieb bicycle briefcase - pricey but industrially waterproof, and very well designed. I shopped around on line and got the best deal from a bike shop in Cincinnati.
    Cycling to work here (Thunder Bay) is actually quite good - we have a trail that snakes through the city from north to south well away from traffic. The main hazards with early morning commuting are skunks and the occastional deer on the path.

- littoral zone — 9/23/2004 @ 5:40 am

6. You said you’d do it. Nice car.

There’s a cyborg fish feminist joke in here somewhere.

- Jordan — 9/26/2004 @ 8:46 pm

7. […] light teaching days don’t leave me ready to collapse, which makes them good days to bike to school. I put 100 km on my bicycle last week, and when I get back h […]