7/26/2004

Oh the possibilities:

File under: This One Time, At Mathcamp. Posted by Moebius Stripper at 5:09 pm.

One of our campers has diplomatic immunity.

1. Um, hmmmm…. that does present interesting possibilities…. like being able to dun cities on parking tickets. Well, that’s how it plays out in New York.

- meep — 7/26/2004 @ 7:57 pm

2. Someone else was suggesting that he take the fall (or not, as the case may be) for any speeding tickets we might incur. Or anything else we do that is of dubious legality. “You can’t touch us for insurance fraud! The person responsible for this has diplomatic immunity!”

- Moebius Stripper — 7/26/2004 @ 8:22 pm

3. awesome! that’s even better than the camper who’s a notary public.

- Jen — 7/27/2004 @ 2:25 pm

4. Is he allowed to divide by zero now? Maybe this is how irrational numbers were discovered.

We had someone refuse a vaccination series before a posting to SE Asia because they had been told they would have diplomatic immunity… gave me great faith in the quality of our embassy staff.

- littoral zone — 7/28/2004 @ 1:21 pm

5. (littoral zone - do I know you? send me an email if I do…)

There are good reasons to refuse vaccinations (the meningitis vaccine gave me a ministroke at the age of 19 - I’m not the only person in that boat), and if “medical reasons” didn’t fly with my employer but “diplomatic immunity” did, I sure as hell would have used it.

- Moebius Stripper — 7/28/2004 @ 3:27 pm

6. I am sorry to hear you had an adverse event with meningovax. I would not argue with someone who refused meningitis vaccination after they had listened to the limited (and quite controversial) data on risk-benefit. I don’t recommend it except in outbreaks, and then with some reservations.
    My diplomat was another case altogether. Considering the side effect profile of hepatovax and its kin, refusing to use it before going to an area with endemic disease is (if I may be blunt) stupid. He was placing himself, and his sexual partner at substantial risk of serious illness and death.
    We could argue the list of vaccines from MMR on down, but on the whole vaccination has brought huge benefits to Canadians and to the world.
    That is not to say everyone should have every vaccine. If anything I think the vaccine controversies point at a much broader problem of government under-funding, and corporate dependence for funding, of research into essential questions.

I am quite sure you don’t know me, although you may know my son. If I have trodden into private space, please forgive the intrusion. My path was circuitous, but I have greatly enjoyed your writing, and felt less like a voyeur after opening my virtual mouth to announce my presence.
    I am a 50 yo physician living in Northern Ontario with a Women’s Studies prof and what is currently referred to as a ‘blended family.’ My email is northern_nights@shaw.ca and if you would prefer that I minded my own business, a short note to that effect will prove immediately effective.

- Stuart Holtby — 7/28/2004 @ 10:28 pm